Wednesday, January 26, 2011

CAN CAN IF YOU CAN

I first started making beaded jewellery when I found some beads for sale in a local wool shop.  My new hobby takes up most of my spare time but I still can’t resist buying knitting wool occasionally, especially with all the beautiful yarns that are available these days.

cancan1

Knitting is something I have enjoyed ever since my mother taught me to knit when I was about six years old.

These days I tend to get bored with bigger garments and the finishing-off and sewing-up is not my strongest skill – hence my embarrassingly large collection of half-knitted or partially sewn-up jumpers.

Scarves are more successful as they don’t take as long to knit and the sewing-up is not a problem.

Last October, Mariel the proprietor of the PreHisto in Le Grand-Pressigny, was knitting a fabulous curly-wurly scarf in a plain grey colour.  The plain grey was not for me but the effect was wonderful.  The yarn is a sort of mesh tape. 

cancan2

She showed me how to pick up the stitches and knit with the yarn but I could not quite grasp the technique.

Recently I managed to get hold of a ball of the yarn, which is called Can Can.  There are instructions on the ball-band but I was still flummoxed so I found this very helpful video on youtube.

cancan3

It’s quite fiddly to knit but it grows very quickly so that’s ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments, please leave one.