Monday, June 27, 2011

HAVE BEADS WILL TRAVEL

A few weeks ago I was contacted by Sweetpea who asked me if I could repair a cherished broken necklace. 

Sweatpea is restoring a house in Angles-sur-L’Anglin, which has to be one of the prettiest villages in the South Loire region of France.

She posted the broken necklace to me in England and the most beautiful and eclectic selection of beads plopped through my letterbox a few days later.

beads1

There were ivory, wood, amber, china, amethyst and crystal beads, plus a lovely pendant bead which I think was onyx.

Sweetpea has fond memories of a fabulous holiday in Sri Lanka where she bought the jewellery, so it was important for both of us that I created something just right.

I restrung the beads and added a few silver, crystal and recycled glass ones of my own, plus a new clasp to ensure the necklace was strong enough not to break again – so that Sweetpea didn’t lose her cherished beads a second time.

beads2

Once I had the length of necklace right, I used the leftover beads to make a lovely bracelet, which Sweetpea might wear herself, or might keep for her granddaughter.

Then when I was chez nous in France earlier this month, I had the joy of delivering the finished jewellery in person, meeting Sweetpea and seeing the lovely house she is restoring in Angles.

3 comments:

  1. Those beads are really pretty, you did a good job there Jean. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Diane, I was pleased with it and so was Sweetpea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so delighted to open the box of beads and am truly happy with the result. I've worn the necklace several times but not yet with the elephant ear-rings which Jean also managed to get repaired for me. They remind me of my 2 or 3 hour ride on an elephant, the elephant orphanage and festival, the temples, the heat, the start of the monsoon and especially the beautiful ladies who picked the tea leaves.
    The broken string of beads had for many years patiently waited for such a sensitive and creative craftswoman. We were in constant communication and exchange of ideas and Jean was a joy to work with. I can wholeheartedly recommend her. Thank you Jean.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, please leave one.