Tuesday, May 1, 2012

NEWARK BEAD FAIR

BEAD FAIR1

I went to the bead fair at Newark recently. 

It’s not that I really needed the beads, but it was a miserable Sunday and beads always cheer me up, so faced with the ironing as the other choice, I thought I might as well go.

BEAD FAIR2It must be about two years since I last went to this twice-a-year bead fair and I was slightly disappointed to find that, although the ticket price had gone up by £1, the number of stalls selling beads was down by about two thirds.

The last time I went the fair was in two halls, one devoted to just beads and one to beads, gems and rocks – the sort of rocks that you might buy for healing purposes.  This time there was only one hall of stalls, a good part of that was taken up by seating for the snack bar and half the remaining space was for the rocks people.

I think I counted only six stall selling beads.

As it happens, I was quick enough off the mark to reply to the email from the lovely Celia at Jencel who was offering complimentary tickets, which was nice, so I didn’t have to pay to get in. 

Because there were fewer stalls than before I had seen everything I wanted to see in less than an hour, which was nice, too.  As you can see from the photos, I still managed to buy lots of lovely beads, whether I needed them or not !!

BEAD FAIR3 BEAD FAIR4 BEAD FAIR5 BEAD FAIR6 BEAD FAIR7 BEAD FAIR8

4 comments:

  1. You've got quite a selection there, Jean. Perhaps it's as well there weren't as many stalls selling beads this year! Looking forward to seeing some of them in your future creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, they are all such lovely beads, I can hardly wait to get started......will I ever see the bottom of my ironing basket again ??!!

      Delete
  2. Jean despite there not being much there I would have loved to have gone with you. I have never been to a bead fair and I don't always buy what I think I am getting over the internet! I like to see and buy. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I have yet to find anything like a bead fair in France, even bead shops seem to be scarce. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. I know I would miss them if I ever move to France.

      I agree, buying beads from internet sites is less than ideal, so many are not what you thought they would be when they arrive and you know you would not have bought them if you could have seen them first - which is such a disappointment, not to mention a waste of money !!

      Delete

I love reading comments, please leave one.