Sunday, December 28, 2014

FRENCH BEADS

There has been very little beading going on in this house for an awfully long time.  Far too long in fact.  The reason being that we moved house in both England and France and my collection of beads has been residing in my dad’s front room for over nine months, waiting to be moved to a permanent home.

I was unsure where I wanted to have them.  Having downsized in the UK it’s difficult to find room for them and equally difficult to find somewhere where I can work with them.  We have spent more time in France where we have upsized and there is definitely more room for them there, but the space is not yet ready or organised.  If I took them there they would still just be in a stack in a corner somewhere.

Back in August someone in France asked me to do a little restringing  job on a necklace, so I rummaged through the piles of boxes in my dad’s front room and took a selection and some basic tools with me on the next trip.  Once the repair was done I looked at what beads I had to hand and realised that I could actually, for the first time in many months, make something for myself. 

beads

The tan coloured beads are carnelian and from a necklace that I picked up in a charity shop a few days before going to France.  I thought they might come in handy.

beads2

I was pleased with the finished necklace and rustled up a matching pair of earrings - I have already worn the set quite a lot.

beads4

This little selection of beads came from one of the few places where I have found beads for sale in France.  They were in a shop called “Centrakor”.  It’s similar to the chain called “The Range” in the UK, selling a mixture of household and decorative stock and a few crafts.  They had a huge selection of beads and although they were a bit pricey I couldn’t resist getting just a few!

beads3

This is a necklace that I gave to a friend for her birthday a few years ago.  The damage is due to the tiled floors in her house – tiles are very unforgiving when you drop a plate, a glass, a cup, or in this case a necklace with china beads.

I was sure that I still had some of the china beads amongst the collection in my dad’s front room.  I looked at the piles of boxes and felt I had been without them long enough.  I stacked them all in my car and took them round to my very small new house.  With a bit of reorganisation they now stand in two large columns in the spare bedroom.  I have also put up the table that was my work table in the previous house.  There’s hardly room to walk round the bead stack or the table but it feels good to have my beads near to me again.

Looking at them, I didn’t realise how much I had missed them until I got them back home.

3 comments:

  1. So...the big question is "will you be taking them out to France with you?". It might give you some relaxation time amidst all the renovations. I need a project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaynor, it's a difficult one to answer.
      Once the dust settles I might feel the need for them here as what else is there to do on long winter evenings?
      On the other hand, in France I will (eventually) have the time and space to spread out and really enjoy them. One idea was to turn the "little house" into a kind of workshop or studio.
      So I am really undecided. Maybe I could do beads in France and knitting in England.
      What kind of project do you fancy? I guess that painting shutters doesn't qualify!
      Thanks for the tip about Centrakor,, by the way!

      Delete
  2. I went thru the same thing with my wonderful bead collection. We moved from a 2 story home to a small apartment and my beads were packed away far to long. When I finally pulled out my beads they felt like silk and satin to my fingers. What a joy to have them within reach again. It is such an amazing feeling to be beading again. I am glad you are back to blogging too!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, please leave one.